In light of eternity, our lives appear as brief moments. Yet we cannot comprehend the loving care God has for every single second of these lives. My hope is to give you a window into His love, joy and strength found in our ordinary days.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

20 Years Ago

My 3rd grade pic :)

There are so many things I wish I could tell this little girl.  And no, not just that her bangs and crimped hair combo are totally killer.  Mostly I wish I could say that even though every scrap of her faith is being tested, and her world is nothing like it was two short years before - life is going to turn out great.

Today is a completely ordinary day at my house.  Blake is finally over a week of sickness, Steve is at work, the dishwasher is my soundtrack as I clean up a week's worth of procrastinated chores.  Then suddenly, somewhere between Febreezing a pair of sneakers and sweeping the kitchen floor, the Holy Spirit spoke to me.  "Stop and look around.  You are blessed."

Our wedding day May 14, 2005
Like every child who endures her parent's divorce, I wasn't exactly sold on the idea of marriage.  But just look at that picture!  Guess I changed my mind!  Steve is the best thing that ever happened to me.  I love him, heart and soul, and I truly believe God has used him to continually strengthen me and to help me set aside the baggage of life.   


And then there was this day!  Anyone who has ever heard a doctor say, "You may have a tough time having children,"  knows the added joy that comes when you hold your baby for the first time.  Despite that pesky pituitary tumor, and with no problems at all, we had our very own baby boy!

My life is not perfect.  It doesn't need to be.  It is, however, blessed.  And I really do wish I could tell that little girl, twenty years ago, that everything will be OK.  But you know... I didn't need to.   There were so many people, my parents especially, who did everything they could to guide me through those rocky waters.  Teachers, family, friends, parents of my friends and pastors pushed me right into the arms of God.  So to any of you reading this who remember that little girl, I say, "Thank You!"  You were right.  Life turned out pretty great.

2 comments:

  1. Christina Patient...I don't know if you know this or not, but you have always been a HUGE inspiration to me!! I thank God that I have the privilege of calling you friend and you're life today is exactly what you deserve! You are so sweet and caring and encouraging!! You've picked me up in many a dark places in my life and God has used you in many more ways than you can imagine!! Thanks for listening to Him and allowing Him to use you and your life!! God bless and I miss ya guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Matt! And I have used your life and example to encourage students more than once. You could write the book on family drama, and yet you have a beautiful family of your own now. Your parents didn't even attend church, but you were more faithful than the rest of us. Love ya, and I'll keep using your story!

    ReplyDelete