In light of eternity, our lives appear as brief moments. Yet we cannot comprehend the loving care God has for every single second of these lives. My hope is to give you a window into His love, joy and strength found in our ordinary days.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Faithful

The one year anniversary of Grandma's death reminded me that I had saved some bulbs from a flower arrangement I took home after the funeral.  I had planned to plant them last fall, but then we made the decision to move.  I wanted to take them with me, so I left all of the bulbs in ziploc bags in the garage.  There they have sat, forgotten in our dark cold garage.  No soil, no water - just toxic, man-mad, plastic baggies.

Turns out leaving them alone wasn't such a bad thing.  When I finally worked up the nerve to peek at them I saw these lovely green shoots sprouting up!  I know very little about plants (obviously) so I was amazed to see life and growth in the neglected bulbs.

I talked with my dear cousin, Luoma, yesterday who explained that these plants need the winter season.  They need the months of dark, cold dormancy to prepare for a showy spring.  Year after year perennials, draw from their "root stock" to produce their beautiful blooms.  However, she also urged me to "get them in the ground right now!"

What an encouragement these tough plants are.  I know I have definitely felt forgotten before.  There have been times I have received a promise from God, only to see it accomplished on a time table that felt excruciatingly long.  Or I've quietly nourished a dream in my heart with gusto then, to be honest, I shelved it somewhere in my heart and forgot all about it.

Thank God, He does not forget.  "Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." -Philippians 1:6   His work in me is like those persistent green shoots.  From the reservoir of blessing, pain, patience and strength being created, He is growing a plan for me that He will be faithful to complete.

2 comments:

  1. and every year when you see those beautiful blooms, remind Blake of his wonderful heritage, he will not forget :)...Beautiful message of God's faithfulness...you are a treasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Bev! I like the idea of the flowers serving as a reminder of Grandma each year. I'm not sure if they'll produce blooms this year because last year they were "forced", but after a few years they should.

    ReplyDelete